Thursday, June 16, 2011

To Vaccinate or Not to Vaccinate? That is the real question.

Vaccines are such a scary topic for me. I have done so much research on the topic, that it balances out and leaves me still undecided. I have my personal reasons and my own experiences with a family member having autism. She is a beautiful girl who seems to be in her own happy world and you just want to grab her and bring her into your world to play and laugh. She has a great mom and step dad who care for her needs and go above and beyond.


I have a four month old son and statistics show boys have been diagnosed with autism more than girls. I will do ANYTHING to shield my child from this disease and a person may or may not agree with my choice. One side says, unvaccinated children pose a health risk, vaccines are completely safe. It is true, a child who is ill can infect young children who have not had the chance to be fully vaccinated, children not able to be vaccinated due to medical reasons, pregnant women and the elderly. The other side says, the medical community has failed children, it's too much going into a baby's system and more research has to be done.

I feel there have been too many mistakes. They discontinue and recall vaccinations all the time due to bad side-effects, mercury levels and even death. How can I be assured that my child won't be an example for a recalled vaccine?

Hunter, his dad and I went through his two month doctor's visit with flying colors. He had a good weight, he was healthy and hitting his milestones like a champ! Then the doctor says, "okay, he will be getting his shots today." I had dodged the Hepatitis B vaccine at the hospital. He is not sexually active, nor will he ever be a drug user with his parents' love and the Lord's hand.

I took a deep breathe and got ready for battle. "No, we will only be getting three vaccinations today," I said. Hunter's dad chimes in, "this is really a compromise because she went from no vaccines to three." This doctor starts to rant about how my child could die from my decision (like his mother would knowingly put him into harm's way) and imply I was a detriment to society. His hand started to shake and he informed me that I should find another doctor because I did not trust him! "Excuse me, but I have seen you two times in my life!" Trust is earned and built over a period of time. This was a highly respected doctor in Atlanta, he had been named to Atlanta Magazine's "Top Doctors in Atlanta" and was or is chief of pediatrics at Piedmont Hospital.

The medical community urges doctors to protect public trust in immunizations and make parents comfortable with immunizations. This doctor's bedside manner was awful and I took his advice and found another doctor!

I decided to have my son immunized for three of the six diseases that are listed on the center for disease control's immunization schedule. We will go through the series and some time later we will begin protecting against the others.

My ultimate goal is to raise a healthy and happy boy.

I suggest you to research and find what works best for you.


http://www.autismspeaks.org/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/21/us/21vaccine.html 

6 comments:

  1. I'm still mad the doctor went at you like that! Good job finding a new Pedi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate your resistance to the mandatory vaccine mumbo jumbo that doctors try to tag with so much urgency and false detriment.

    Can a baby die because they failed to get vaccinated? Maybe...
    There are actually NO statistics available that illustrate how many babies in the USA die because they did not receive vaccinations.

    Can a baby die because they received massive amounts of poison that is incorporated into the structure and makeup of vaccines issued to thousands, if not millions of children each day? Maybe...
    Funny - there are NO USA statistics available for this either! There are, however, statistics available of 2000+ deaths of children under 3 since the Hib vaccine was introduced to the vaccine schedule.

    Can a baby develop life long injury, incurable disease, neurological damage, motor delays, physical impediments, sudden infant death syndrome, autism, add, adhd, speech delays, etc, etc from administration of innoculations? 50/50...??
    Currently, 1 out of 110 children are on the autism spectrum. Autism is a neurological disorder that impacts a persons brain development. People living with autism may suffer minor to significant consequences of the disorder that impact ones ability to communicate effectively, take care of one's daily needs, and many other things. http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism

    There are many people (mostly parents who have children on the spectrum) that believe vaccination has been the most significant factor contributing to their childs autism. I am one of these parents. My daughter developed normally until she received her third round of vaccinations at our local pediatrician's office. I can never forget that day our life changed. I should've taken the cue from her, just under a year old - I remember how frightened she was to even enter the building (the last time we were there was for her second round of shots). It was not typical. Even at that time, something inside told me not to do it - to leave if off until a future time, or maybe just forget about this round of shots completely! Boy, in retrospect, if I had known what I do now...
    I cannot take that moment back, and I am forever regretful of the chance opportunity to walk away, relieving her tension and anxiety - and really, saving her life! We are our children's best protection. We know them better than anyone and I should've listened to her subtle behavior that triggered my "mommy intuitiveness" on this day.
    Everday brings it's own unique challenges into our lives, and everyday I have an earnest committment to bringing my daughter out of the cloud that has taken away her voice - maintaining a balance a genuine respect and appreciation for who she is today and for the enrichment that this experience has brought to my life. Small achievements receive extraordinary praise and sense of accomplishment :-)

    Doctor accolades and ratings don't mean much to me unless they have a strong understanding of basic biological functions (not what a pill can do) and the connection between people and their environments. I commend you for switching pediatricians to someone who is hopefully not blinded completely by government/pharmaceutical backed agendas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Heather, for your comment. Of course, the family member I mention is your beautiful daughter. Thank you for educating me on this because I would have not done my research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much like buying a quality product at Best Buy, you're lucky if the sales rep isn't commissioned to sell you on something they know is crappy, yet pays (them) well. It's not much different in the doctor's office. Those sneaky men and women with their little suitcases full of doom make more appointments than the patients do. Can't even tell you how many Nasonex samples I've accumulated from each check-up. Hunter is so lucky to have a mama grizzly like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mama Grizzlies around the world unite! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. talks about doctors turning unvaccinated kids away

    http://community.our365.com/profiles/blogs/some-pediatricians-turning?utm_source=newsletter_all_07-23-2011&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=overheard

    ReplyDelete