Friday, August 26, 2011

Rochelle and Skyler


It seems everyone was pregnant with boys due in January 2011.  I was fortunate enough to have formed close relationships with two extraordinary women due with boys in January.  We shared "pregger" stories, reviews on strollers and car seats and attended each others’ baby showers.


Everyone at my shower always ask how my “new mama” crew is doing.  So I will share their stories with you.  First up is Rochelle and her son Syler Jordan Danners was due 1-11-11 but he came on his own time!


Q. Describe your trip to the hospital.
A. It started off when I had a routine doctor’s appointment on the morning of December 23. For a couple of months prior to this date, I had been having contractions with no pain for three months. My doctor put me on a monitor to check my son’s heartbeat and my blood pressure. So during my appointment my blood pressure was very high and not an hour into my doctor’s visit I was told, 'We're sending you to the hospital to have the baby tonight!"

Q. How was your labor?
A.I think I’m one out of a million that can say my labor was not so bad. I was in the hospital by 5 p.m. and induced labor started at 9 p.m.. My spine is shaped in an "S". So the epidural would only treat one side of my body. 

By 4 a.m. on December 24, I was ready to push Skyler out. My OBGYN arrived right when it was time to push. He was a difficult little one! He didn't want to come out, every time I would push he would scoot back up into my pelvic bone. Between my pushing and Skyler not wanting to come out, my doctor was falling asleep during my labor! I didn't even know until I was told after Skyler arrived. I thought she was down at the bottom trying to get my baby out. 

So, by the time 6:15 came, the doctor gave me ONE option; to have Skyler suctioned out. She told me all the risks but I would rather have my baby out and healthy than unable to breath because of my pushing and him not wanting to come out. My doctor tried suctioning him out twice and both times, he was unsuccessful. I then recieved an Episiotomy. Then, at 6:45 a.m Skyler Jordan Danners arrived. :)

Q. How many lbs and height was Skyler?

A. 6lbs 13oz 21inches
Q. When was Skyler born?
A. Early Christmas Eve morning at 6:56 a.m.


Q. Who was in the room during your labor?                        
Skyler’s father, my mother, my two sisters Jasmin and Lexy, my cousins LaBelle and Kierstin and my good friends Devin and Rob. But, by the time the pain started to settle in, the nurses asked for everyone to leave except my mother and my sons father.


Q. Describe your first 24 hours after labor.
A. My first 24 hours were the same as any other day, besides the fact that it was Christmas eve rolling into Christmas. The only difference was that I had a brand new baby boy, my first son who I cherish so dearly.


Q. Describe your first 24 hours at home with your little one.
A. My first 24 hours at home was very weird. I had a new responsibility. It’s different when you only have to take care of yourself, but now having someone who depended on me was a whole 180. At times I was nervous, scared and anxious. My son seemed as though he was still trying to learn how to breathe, so every moment I would check on him to make sure he was doing okay. 


(mommy, Skyler and dad)